Friday, November 13, 2015

Final Words

Jude 24-25
Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy,
to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

What a glorious God I serve! He can keep me from stumbling. He can present me blameless before Him  and His glory with joy. What else do I need? Praise be! Earlier Jude has exhorted his beloved believers to build themselves up in the faith and pray in the Spirit. Building up in the faith speaks of time spent in the word, studying, memorizing, and meditating. It speaks of Christian fellowship and worshiping with other believers. It speaks of so much that is essential for the Christian walk. Praying any other way than in the Spirit is like speaking to the air. It's not going to get an answer! Then Jude exhorts them to keep themselves in the love of God and to wait for the mercy of Jesus that leads to eternal life. Keeping ourselves in God's love would mean loving others as Jesus loved others. As we wait for the mercy of Jesus, the completion of our salvation and our calling home to heaven, we can love others, reaching out to them, meeting their needs. Finally, the beloved believers should have mercy on doubters, and if necessary save some by snatching them out of the fire, some by showing mercy with fear, yet even hating the garment stained by the flesh. 

What does that mean? It is clear about showing mercy to doubters. Don't give up. Keep sharing even going so far as snatching them from the immediate fire of God's judgment. Maybe a death bed confession of Jesus. To the ones we show mercy with fear, could it mean we fear because the situation we are in might be a temptation for us? We are there for the unsaved one, but must also keep ourselves unspotted from the world. We hate the sin, but not the sinner. We hate the ungodly lifestyle, but not the sinner. 

And after this instruction, Jude prays to Him who able to do all this, to Him to whom belongs glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all times and now and forever. Amen.

Father,
Only You can do these things in my life. You are the power and the strength. Make your power perfect in my weakness. Build me up in my faith. Teach me always to pray in the Spirit. Keep me in Your love and strengthen me to wait for Jesus to call me home. Help me reach out to others sharing Your message with them.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment