Monday, December 21, 2015

The Angel Message

Lk. 2:26-38

It's hard for me to imagine Mary's encounter with Gabriel, but perhaps that is because I am not a Jewish virgin waiting for and hoping that I would be the chosen one to bear the Messiah. But Mary was! Still, no doubt, it was somewhat scary to have a visit from an angel. The text says that she was troubled and wanted to discern what this visit was about. 

Just what exactly did Mary find out?
  • That the angel was named Gabriel, and he was from God sent especially to her.
  • She was the favored one.
  • The Lord was with her.
  • She would conceive and bear a son.
  • She would call His name Jesus.
  • Jesus would be great, called the Son of the Most High, be given the throne of David, would reign over Jacob forever, and of His kingdom there would be no end. 
  • She would conceive by the Holy Spirit and the power of the Most High.
  • The child she would bear would be Holy-the Son of God.
  • Her relative Elizabeth has conceived in her old age, and this would be her 6th month.
  • Nothing is impossible with God.
Quite a truckload of information to digest and accept. I don't think Gabriel gave her time for processing. Her immediate response was, Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to Your word. How beautiful! Complete trust, acceptance, and obedience. No wonder she was the chosen one! No wonder Mary pondered these things in her heart. Her mind and spirit were on overload. 

Father,
Give me the spirit of Mary. Help my heart to be one of servanthood and obedience to You. I love You Lord.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment