Saturday, December 19, 2015

Zechariah and Elizabeth

Lk. 1:5-25

Since Zechariah was a priest serving in the temple, should he have believed Gabriel? Should he have known that a messenger from the Lord would only speak truth no matter how incredulous his message was. The text says that they were both righteous before God walking blamelessly in all the commandments and statutes of the Lord. That would speak of a heightened spiritual awareness. Nevertheless, I know that Zechariah no doubt feared for his life and perhaps this fear clouded his judgment, that and the fact that they were old left him speechless until the birth of the child. 

What a miracle! Their prayer had been answered. I wonder if they had ceased to pray that prayer since their age was so advanced. Regardless, here we have two old people producing John the Baptist, a man who would do such great things for God and who would be the forerunner of Christ. The angel told them of the great joy and gladness that would fill their lives and of the baby's great mission. He would be a Nazarite who would turn the hearts of many Israelites back to God. He would minister in the power of Elijah turning the heart of the fathers to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just. He was to make ready for the Lord a people prepared. Imagine how Elizabeth felt when he wrote all this to her. Her heart must have soared, or did she dabble in doubt as well. We don't know, but we do know that she was not mute as was her husband. 

She did conceive despite the medical impossibility and despite her husband's doubt. For 5 months she stayed in seclusion, but she said, Thus the Lord has done for me in the days when He looked on me, to take away my reproach among the people. Her burden was lifted, and her sorrow was dissipated. She was blessed of the Lord and was rejoicing in that fact. How wonderful! God can do miracles when it fits His timing and His purpose. The birth of John the Baptist and Jesus Christ were 2 such great miracles to be remembered at this time of year. But for me, I will remember that with Christ came my atonement, redemption, and sanctification. He gave me the miracle of new life and new birth. He took away my reproach and my shame replacing it with His glorious grace.

Father,
Thank You for this great gift, for sending Jesus to be born such a humble birth, for His life and death, for His resurrection, for giving me new life, for covering me in His blood and Your great grace. Thank You. I can truly say Merry Christ-mas!
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment