Thursday, September 3, 2015

Temptation

James 1:12
Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life. 

There is a blessing for the man who endures trials and temptations. Enduring to the end means eternal life replete with all of its blessings. What a glorious crown of life! But how to withstand? Understand the nature of temptation is a must. At times I have thought that temptation is sent by God to test my mettle. But James tells me clearly God does not tempt with evil nor is He tempted by it. In the case of Job, He allowed Satan to sift him, a sifting that would separate his wheat from his chaff. In Revelation Satan is known as the accuser of the brethren. He likes to come before the Father seeking out those he might devour. But for the one who is truly God's, devouring is not in the cards. There is also the example of Peter who allowed his flesh to entice and control. He denied Christ three times, the Christ whom he loved dearly. Afterward he was left with the bitter taste of failure and bitter tears to burn his eyes. There was no pleasure here. The enticement that Satan uses never brings what it promises. In fact, what it brings is heartache, disappointment, and disillusionment. 

James goes on to explain that trials and temptations emanate from our own lusts, by our own desires that bloom into a soul-devouring flower. When desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death.Yikes! Evil desires are not something to take lightly. How strong is my flesh! Even with the indwelling Spirit of God controlling me, my flesh can rear its ugly head and call out to me. Who do I hear? Who do I obey? Since it is within me that the battle happens, I must answer. In that moment the old patterns and behaviors seem so familiar and comfortable. That is why I must decide ahead of time. I must purpose to listen to the Spirit no matter how difficult.

Father,
Help me to identify my own propensities so that I might confess and repent. Help me to listen and obey the Spirit's voice so that I might be so very close to You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment