Tuesday, September 8, 2015

The Tongue

James 3:5
So the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things.

Our tongues are fires, worlds of unrighteousness. And such a thing as this lives in my mouth! Oh dear! The tongue has the power to stain the whole body and set a fire that consumes the entire course of life [according to James]. Where does it get such power? It is set on fire by hell! It is a prime tool of Satan used to defeat believers worldwide. Every time we open our mouths there is an opportunity for our tongues to take over and destroy the quality of our Christian walk. 

James goes on to say that the tongue is unable to be tamed, humanly speaking. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father and with it we curse people, who are made in the likeness of God. It is almost as if James is pleading when he says, My brothers, these things ought not to be so. I think James was thinking of the Holy Spirit who lives within us and is the only way we can defeat the sinful power of the tongue. In ourselves we stand no chance against our tongues, but in the power of the Spirit we can be victors because Christ has already won the victory for us. All we must do is live in the light of that victory. These sinful things don't have to be!!! We don't have to live in a constant state of sin, smeared so heavily with muck that the light of Jesus can barely shine through. This is not our calling and election! This is a guise of Satan, the Accuser of the brethren, the one who delights in telling the Father how we caved. We need to contend for the faith, stand strong, make every effort, be a soldier of the cross, and run the race casting aside the weights and sins that so easily ensnare us.

Father,
I confess that my tongue has caused me to sin. I have listened to the voice of my flesh and have fallen. Forgive me. Give me Your grace and strength. Attune my ears to Your Holy Spirit so He can lead and direct me where I should go.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment