Saturday, June 18, 2016

Denial

Lk. 9:23-26

And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

Following Jesus means denying self and taking up our cross daily. Denying self seems like an impossible task, but through the strength that God supplies, we can make some inroads into this denial. In the footnote of my Bible, it says denying personal control of my life. That makes sense. to deny self is to deny my right to run my life thus allowing God to have this right [which really rightfully by rite of creation should be His.].  Phew, a lot of rights there!

But taking up the cross, what is this cross? Certainly it is a cross that all believers must bear, a cross that must parallel the cross of Christ. His cross was one of intense suffering, pain, separation, mockery, and isolation from the One He loved most, His Father. So for the believer it would mean that I should walk in His footsteps, steps of suffering and separation. Following Jesus will lead to persecution in some form whether it is physical abuse or mockery. It can also mean separation from family and friends, a cutting away from familial ties. Quite a cross! This too would need the strength that only God supplies.

So if we lose our lives here in this life, we will save our life eternally. If we give up control of our life here, we will spend eternity in heaven with Christ. For what is gained by fighting for control here and losing our souls for eternity? Absolutely nothing! Satan has so magnified the claims of this world, that people can't imagine life without all this world system has to offer. But a closer look would reveal its true emptiness and insatiability. Even though it seems heavy, that is denying self and taking up His cross, He supplies the only true fulfillment and satisfaction there is to be found. A life lived for Jesus may have some really rough times, but He is right beside us in whatever we go though. A life lived for Jesus is like none other!

Father,
Strengthen me when I encounter suffering and affliction. Strengthen me in denying myself. Both of these areas seem so hard. I know that in myself it is not possible. I must and want to rely on You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment