Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Words

Col. 4:1-6

As I read these few verses, several things come to mind. First, that I should be continuing steadfastly in prayer. Why is prayer so hard? I study without any problem, but when it comes to prayer I am inconsistent. It says here to be watchful in prayer with thanksgiving. Watchful of what? The roaring lion seeking someone to devour. If I am not praying, I am easy prey for the one who wants me to fail. Prayer is my guard, my protection, my strength. And yes, always with thanksgiving. Our lives have suffering and affliction as did Jesus' life. He said we are to follow in His footsteps. For that, we need much prayer and help from the Holy Spirit. 

Paul was deeply concerned about having more doors of opportunity to share the gospel. Even though he shared constantly, he wanted to share more so he asked believers to pray. Such a burden we should have! Then Paul says that we should walk in wisdom toward unbelievers.  Our lives, words, actions, and attitudes say so much about Jesus. We are His windows to the world. Whenever we slack off, what does it say to the world? 

Not only are we to walk wisely, but we are to make the best use of our time. So when we are around unbelievers, we need to examine our use of time. Are we seeing opportunities or are we just involved in chatter without any spiritual emphasis? Are we looking into the lives of others seeing their needs and then trying to meet those needs? Are our words ministering to those that God brings into our lives?

Finally, our speech needs to be seasoned with salt so that we may know how to answer each person. 'Salt' is a unique concept. It refers back to Mt. 5:13 where Jesus tells us we are the salt of the earth. We are here for seasoning, for healing, and for preservation. So if we think of this as we answer people, it would make a huge difference. Are my words healing or preserving? Are they seasoning or giving people a direction in their life? Are they what Jesus would say? He had a way of looking into a person and seeing their true need. We need to have this same spiritual vision.

Father,
I bring my life before You know for You to use as You know best. Open my mouth wisely. Make my time count. Let my eyes see opportunities and needs. Help me to pray consistently.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment