Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Strengthen, Endure, Suffer

2 Tim. 2:1-13

Even though Paul was in prison, he was not disabled because the gospel itself was not imprisoned! He was willing to endure anything as long as the gospel would be preached, as long as salvation was offered to the elect. He went on to give advice to Timothy encouraging him to share in sufferings as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. Don't shy away from them! Don't hide from them! Instead Timothy was to strengthen himself in the grace that was in Jesus Christ. Then Paul asked him to remember, If we have died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him; if we deny him, he also will deny us; if we are faithless, he remains faithful-- for he cannot deny himself. Pretty strong words to put Timothy's thinking straight. Pretty strong words for us as well. For me, I need to remember to share in suffering as a soldier of Jesus. I need to be faithful and to endure what comes my way. I need to strengthen myself in the grace of Jesus Christ.

Father,
I confess I don't always embrace suffering or stand as a good soldier. Give me Your strengthening grace that I might be strong for You. I only want to live in and for You! Thank You for Jesus who makes my life in You possible.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment