Sunday, November 2, 2014

A Room and a Promise

Jn. 14:1
Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. 

Why does the heart become troubled? Illness, disease, financial misfortune, war, death to name a few. There are many things in this world that would trouble any person's heart, that is if they were not trusting in Jesus. Jesus Himself said not to worry. There is nothing in this life that He cannot handle, overcome, or use for His purposes. So it comes down to a matter of trust. Do I trust Jesus enough to give Him all that troubles my heart? 

Jesus gave some concrete reason for believers to trust Him. First, He is in His Father's house with the God of the universe who set everything in motion. Secondly, He is preparing a place for us. When we go to be with Him either in death or the rapture, We will not be in nothingness. we will have a place in the Father's house. Thirdly, Jesus will come again and call us to Himself. Wow! We will be forever with Him! In the midst of these comforting words Thomas expressed a doubt. A question that I am sure many people have wondered. He said that he did not where Jesus was going so how could he find the way. Jesus simply stated, I am the way the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. Jesus is asking Thomas and each believer to follow, Do you trust me even in this? 

But Thomas was not satisfied. He asked another question. Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for me. Jesus' heart must have been so heavy. Had Thomas traveled with Him so long and still not known Him? Jesus said, Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, Show us the Father? Jesus declared His very identity and words were of the Father. If Thomas couldn't believe the words of Jesus, then he should believe because of His works. We might be tempted to look down on Thomas except for the many times we have doubted His very words. How could we? They are at our ready access. How blinding is our flesh!  And still consider the fact that we are looking back on the cross and all it means whereas Thomas had not yet seen the greatest work of all, Jesus on the cross.

Jesus ended this teaching time with a monumental promise. He began it with Truly, truly . Two words that mean listen up! If we believe in Jesus, we will do the works that Jesus did and greater works than these will He do. Who is the He? The indwelling Holy Spirit will grow, transform, and lead us into these greater works. We know the great Words of God, His Spirit, and His grace. It is only through His grace that we can do anything. But, there was still more to this promise. Whatever you ask in My name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in My name I will do it. Unbelievable! Jesus had to die, be resurrected, and ascend to the Father for us to have the Holy Spirit within. He is the power source that makes the promises of God a reality! Without Him there are no greater works! What a glorious passage! It should banish any doubt!

Father,
Thank You for these words of encouragement. I know that there is still more teaching before I understand this promise fully. But I do understand Jesus, who He is and who You are. I do understand the great power of Your Spirit and of the Word. Spirit, Grow me more each day.
In the name of Jesus,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment