Monday, November 3, 2014

Ephesus

Rev. 2:7
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one that conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life.

The Spirit speaks to the 7 churches through 7 letters [7 speaking of completeness and perfection representing all churches.] In these letters are warnings that urge the reader or the listener to change, and if he will, he will be granted to eat of the tree of life. Eternal life!  The form of the warning is the written word. It reminds me of the power of the Word of God, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit...and discerning the intentions of the heart. Certainly, I see that same power in these letters.The first letter is to the church at Ephesus. The Ephesians were told of essential doctrine [chapters 1-3] and then of the practical application [Chapters 4-6].  The One [ the Spirit of the Son of Man] who walks among the 7 lamp-stands [each church has one.] and holds the 7 stars [perfection of Light] is dictating the letters to John. Jesus Christ is the Light. There is nothing brighter or truer. 

Christ knows their works, their toil and patient endurance, and their intolerance to those who are evil. They are patiently enduring for Jesus' sake without growing weary. [ Sounds pretty good!] But one criticism is leveled against them: they have abandoned their first love. They are warned to remember from where they had fallen, repent, and do the works they had done at the first. Would this abandonment be fervor, acts of service, submission? If not, their lamp-stand will be taken away. Yet, on the positive side, they hated the works of the Nicolaitans as does Christ. Perhaps a little sandwich psychology: positive, negative, positive. The letter ends with a cryptic statement that takes the warning from the corporate to the personal: He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. Finally, The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death. What is this conquering? Is victory the object of the Christian life? Yes. I must run the race with endurance laying aside every weight and sin that clings so closely looking to Jesus the author and perfecter of my faith. The goal: forgetting what lies behind and staining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal  for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. No second death there!

This letter  touches my heart. I know that I toil and patiently endure. I see evil in the world and even in myself and am exposing it especially in myself. But have I lost  the fervor of a first love? Well, I would have to say that initially my love was not strong at all, but I will think back to a time when my love was hottest. I do hear this warning and am applying it to my life. To me, this means a life of complete submission and obedience. It speaks to the heart of my priorities. 

Father,
Open my eyes to see the truth about myself. Help me not to be blinded by what I think is right. Spirit, grow me and teach me.
In the name of Jesus,
Amen

  











No comments:

Post a Comment