Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Smyrna

Rev. 2:11
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.  The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death. 

This letter contains the words of the first and the last, who died and came to life. Jesus Himself is giving hope by His very name. His death and resurrection are the hope for all believers, but especially for these believers who were to face horrendous persecution. No warning is issued to this church. Instead Jesus tells them that He knows their tribulation and their poverty. They were destitute and suffering in this world, but exceedingly rich in the spiritual realm. Jesus also understood their slander by those claiming to be Jews. Instead of a true synagogue, it was a synagogue of Satan. Sounds remarkably similar to the Pharisees and scribes of Jesus' day!

Jesus tells them what is about to happen: suffering, imprisonment, testing, and tribulation. Who is behind all this? The synagogue and the devil himself. Their time of testing will be brief [10 days], but that does not detract from its severity. Many will be martyred. Jesus tells them to Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life. What a letter is this! They would have to have a heart like those in Acts, Then they left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. During my lifetime, I have not seen persecution like this, but I am blessed to live in America, yet Saeed [an American citizen] comes to mind. How he and his family are suffering! 

Globally many are suffering and many are martyred by Islam. Am I ready for something like this? Has my ease of religion sent a weakness in my soul? I pray not. Once again he ends the letter with the same cryptic warning as the last letter. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.  The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death. The one who conquers, the one who is faithful to death, will not fear the 2nd death. They like Jesus will have resurrection and life eternal. Their persecution does not end in nothingness. It ends in the arms of Jesus who will welcome them into His glorious kingdom. 

Father,
Persecution, poverty, and martyrdom are not pleasant words. If I had to endure this, I ask that You and Your grace keep me faithful to the end. I confess I do not spend enough time praying for the Christians worldwide. 
In the name of Life itself,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment