Saturday, November 15, 2014

High Priestly Prayer [Part 2}

Jn. 17:9
I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom You have given me, for they are Yours. 

Jesus finished telling the Father that those given Him by the Father have listened, received, and kept God's word. The mission thus far was accomplished. Beyond any shadow of doubt, these believers knew that Jesus came from the Father. Right after this report to the Father, Jesus begins interceding for those who are His own. 

He was and is praying only for those who were and are His and not for the world. This prayer is one of intercession, of support for the disciples. Since Jesus is leaving this world, and they are not, Jesus prayed to the Holy Father as the high Priest, the one who intercedes for His own. 
  • He asks for them to be kept in the Father's  name that they may be one even as Jesus and the Father are one. Wow! Unbelievable unity. I wonder how many times have I prayed about unity? Something I should definitely do. Jesus has guarded them and kept them safe.[ except for Judas that the Scripture might be fulfilled.]
  • He asks that His joy may be fulfilled in the believers. 
  • He asks for them not to be taken out of the world, but that they be kept from the evil one
  • He asks for them to be sanctified in the truth of the Word..
  • He asks not just for those living at this time, but also for those yet to come to be unified. And why? So that the world may believe that the Father sent the Son. Amen! This prayer is for me!
  • He asks that all the believers may be with Him where He is so that they may see His glory, the glory given Him by the Father, and that they may see He is beloved of the Father.
  • O righteous Father, even though the world does not know You, I know you, and these know that You have sent me. I made known to them Your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them. 
Jesus will continue to make this known. He will never stop. He is my living, and eternal intercessor who will constantly pray for my unity with the Father. What kind of High Priest is this! Jesus is concerned about what I will need to be sanctified. In the word, I find that I have all things that I need for life and godliness. He will be praying that all the Father sends will draw me closer to this unity, will keep my safe within His hand, and will sanctify me more each day. 

Father,
Thank You for giving me Jesus as my intercessor. I know that He will ever be there supporting me and caring for me. Help me to grow in this spiritual unity. Sanctify me by the truth of Your words.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment