Sunday, March 29, 2015

Only...

Josh. 1;6-9
Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go.This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

Joshua's only was no simple matter. He was filling the shoes of Moses, but the one advantage he had was the Lord, No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. What a promise! Certainly these words answer the question, Whom shall I fear? Of whom shall I be afraid?

Joshua's instruction was to be strong and courageous. Two qualities that any man would need before begining a military campaign. But he was also told to be careful to obey all the law of Moses without turning to the right or the left. If he could do this, he would be successful wherever he went. 

But what did it mean specifically to be careful? The law could not depart from his mouth. The words of the law would become the words of his conversations and his communications. He was to meditate on the law day and night. It would fill every recess of his mind controlling all his thoughts. And then once more his command said, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. After this second time, Joshua is promised prosperity. Prosperity and Success all at the price of obedience! With this in mind, the Lord tells him not to fear and promises He will be with him wherever he goes, in battle or out of the battle. 

Father,
I want this heart, a heart who knows Your words so much that the control every thought or action. Teach me and guide me into the path that You desire for me. Take away my fear of man. Replace it with a fear of You, a fear that leads to obedience and love.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment