Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Forgiveness

Mt. 18:21-35

The parable of the Unforgiving Servant was precipitated by a question from Peter, "Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?" The issue of forgiveness is one that has plagued humanity and has been the source of countless wars, intra-personally, inter-personally, nationally, and internationally. Something in the human heart does not want to forgive, even to the point of not forgiving ourselves. But to answer the question, Jesus said simply,  "I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times. I imagine that answer blew Peter's mind. Did he really comprehend? Apparently not since Jesus told a parable to drive home the point.

Definitely the main character, the unforgiving servant is a despicable person. How could he, who had been forgiven so much, not forgive in return? As the story goes, he had a huge debt to the master [10,000 talents], a debt that he could not pay. The master had pity on him and forgave his debt. But this very same servant when out and found a fellow servant who owed him. He seized him, choked him, and demanded that he pay his debt. Instead of forgiving the debt [as had been done to him], he put the man in prison. When other servants saw what had taken place, they reported him to the master who said, You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you?' And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart."

The kingdom of heaven operates on this forgiveness currency: To be forgiven you must forgive. Sadly, many times I catch myself not wanting to forgive my husband for the same things he has done to me for nearly 50 years. I mean really!!!! I wonder does he see me doing the same things to him over and over again? When I examine my Christian walk, I see a repetition in the sins I commit. Yet God forgives me time upon time. How can I have an unforgiving spirit when so much has been forgiven me? Truly, my heart needs to reminded of this repeatedly.

Father,
Forgive me for my unforgiving spirit. Help me to love and forgive as You do. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment