Friday, February 12, 2016

Guard My Mouth

Ps. 39

This year I have chosen 1 Pet. 3:4 as a verse that I am praying for God to work in my life. But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit which in God's sight is very precious. This is not my normal personality! So to be true in my life it would be a work of God for sure. [Actually that is true for everything in my life.] So in my daily reading today I was reading in Ps. 39. There I found some verses that might help me with my goal this year.

Verse 1 said,  I will guard my ways, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle, so long as the wicked are in my presence. I have always thought of this verse in conjunction with anger, but it really applies to all things that come out of my mouth, especially words that do not reflect a gentle or quiet spirit. I think that what comes out of my mouth is indicative of what is in my spirit. If my spirit is gentle and quiet then my words will be. In verse 4 it says, O Lord, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am. To be reminded of the brevity of my life in comparison to eternity should shift my priorities and make me have a greater desire to foster the hidden person of my heart, to make my words and spirit something that is precious to the God that I love. 

Although out of context, verse 9 says, I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it. Muteness might be a viable option. Just to refrain from commenting or answering, to spend much more time listening and thinking. Listening could make me aware of the spirit of others and see the God I love reflected in their lives. Meditating on God's word could alter my spirit in a phenomenal way. I have always memorized and prayed Scripture, but I see that I need to call it up repeatedly throughout the day not just at the times that I have set aside for it. God's word needs to flow out of me constantly for my spirit to be pleasing to Him as well my words.

Father,
I know that this morning I have tried to work through this issue. I see now that I need to bring Your words to remembrance many times throughout the day. Help me to do this. Transform my spirit so that my words and my manner will be gentle and quiet. I confess the many times that my words and my manner have been sinful. Forgive me. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment