Sunday, May 22, 2016

The Profound Mystery

Eph. 5:32-33
This mystery is profound, and I am saying it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Why is the marriage relationship so difficult? Perhaps it is because it has such spiritual significance. It is the one relationship that should parallel Christ and the church. So I wonder if one relationship is bad will the other relationship be bad? If marriage in America is failing, will the church in America also be failing? If the marriage relationship is bad on a personal level, will the corresponding spiritual relationship be bad? I am afraid so. If sin [and that is a stress and strife filled marriage] is allowed to continue or even to flourish, how can we be close to Christ. Christ and sin do not peacefully coexist! Stern words! So If we value our relationship with Christ, then we had better value our relationship with our spouse. If we don't and persist in this divided thinking, we will be losers on both fronts!

Why is it  even when two people love each other, they fail to treat each other in a loving manner. I think it must come down to self. Our underlying selfishness is so strong [even though we think it is not], that we can not stop our love affair with ourselves long enough to love our spouse. Loving a spouse is long, hard work. We are constantly surrounded by their annoying idiosyncrasies and demands. At times it as if we have no time for self at all. There it is! Self! It is shameful when we state it so blatantly! How foolish we are to cut ourselves out of the joy of intimate love with our spouse and our Lord! Because one is vitally related to the other. Certainly, it is a profound mystery. 

Father,
I fall so short in this area. I confess. Forgive. Please, help me to love as You would have me love. Help me to be that wife You want me to be. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment