Monday, May 30, 2016

Work Out

Phil. 2:12-30

Paul urged the Philippians to work out their own salvation with  fear and trembling. Work? But what about grace? But then in the very next sentence, Paul reminded them that it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure. So even though we are to work as hard as we can [desire, commitment, follow-through, thought], it is always in and through the power of God. How does that work anyway? It is like Paul said in 1 Cor. 15:10, But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. And again I say, how does this work anyway? 

As far as I know, it is not cut and dried. We have the Holy Spirit who is our guide and teacher. He must be the conduit for the grace of God to flood into our lives empowering us. We also must pray in the Spirit to know the will of God in any situation. That includes working out our own salvation. Coupled with that, we  have the Word where we find many clear cut commands that make God's will abundantly clear. But at the same time, there are the gray areas in the interpretation of those commands. I think it must come down to a matter of trust, trust in the Word and in the Spirit. The more we grow and absorb the Word, the more we know God is working in us and it is not merely us. But at the same time, God is always working in us to work out His purpose and for His good will. How complex!

Father,
Thank You for working in me Your good will and Your good pleasure. I want to be Your vessel to be used by You. Keep teaching me how my work and Your working in me are in sync. I always want to be in sync with You.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment