Wednesday, December 18, 2013

An Imitator of God

Eph. 5:1-2
Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
 
My identity is to be centered on God, to be an imitator of God as one of His beloved children. How many children are profoundly affected by their parents? In most instances, children imitate their parents whether it is for good or bad. As a child of God, I am to pattern my life after His. The more that I know Him, the closer I can grow to be like Him. Amazingly He doesn't expect me to do this on my own, but instead He gives me His indwelling Spirit and Son to be my constant companions and guides. They grow me into a fruit-bearing Christian  as they intercede for me.
 
How does this concept look practically? To begin with I must imitate God in my walk, a walk that must be done in love.  Every person's walk identifies them as a person. It is what shows their values, goals, and even dreams. What do people see when they see my walk? Do they see me as an imitator of God? Do they see that I live for eternal verities and not for temporal, earthly things? It really makes me think. Am I significantly different so that I would be see as a Christian? Sadly, it is way to easy to blend into the world. But that is not walking in love!
 
God profoundly loved me when He freely gave His son to pay the debt of my sin so that I would be saved. He reached out with an unfathomable love that reconciled me to the Father. Just as Christ walked in love even to the point of death, so should I walk. His walk was a fragrant offering to God and so should mine be. This God-given and grace-filled love is my identification as a Christian. Jesus said His followers would be known by love, a love that He grows in all those who believe. It is my heart's desire that I would be different, that the love of God would shine out through my walk.
 
Father,
Teach me how to walk in love. Teach me how to make my life a sweet-smelling offering to You. Grow me in Your love until it fills me completely.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment