Saturday, December 21, 2013

Filled with the Spirit

Eph. 5:18
And do not get dunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit...
 
The preceding verse says to avoid foolishness and understand what the will of the Lord is. How can I do that without the Holy Spirit revealing it to me? I have thought about this verse most of the day trying to understand it. I see that being filled with the Spirit has some similarities to drunkenness. When someone is drunk, they are pretty much controlled by something else. I am sure that if a drunk person were sober, he wouldn't have driven recklessly, and for sure, wouldn't have wanted to kill someone else. But his choice to drink to the point of drunkenness resulted in him being controlled by alcohol. Similarly, being controlled by the Spirit would result in my acting in a way contrary to my flesh. The Spirit would now have replaced my will with His and would then be revealing the will of God to me.
 
But what is the how? If I really want it, will it happen? I know that obedience to the word and prayer would be essential to being Spirit-filled, but I wish it were as easy as getting drunk. But I know that the Spirit-filled life is not to be found in a bottle. Perhaps it comes down to my choices. Do I listen to my flesh? Do I respond to life in a fleshly manner, or do I seek to live in accordance with the Word? Do I have constant communion with the Lord and with the Spirit? I mean the Spirit lives within me, and yet I rarely acknowledge Him or talk to Him. Is that why this is so nebulous? I do know that it has to be the desire of my heart, my life, my actions, my responses, my all. I must be all in even when I am tired or in pain and even when my plans are disrupted. 
 
Father,
I ask that You teach me how to be filled with the Spirit. Show me what is blocking my understanding. Cleanse my desires and my choices. Help me to talk with You and the Spirit constantly. 
In the name of Jesus,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment