Monday, December 16, 2013

Old and New

Eph. 4:22
...put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
 
Paul has addressed this issue clearly saying that I must no longer walk as the Gentiles. But how do they walk? How are they identified? I know that some of them look very good compared to many Christians. Many of them are humanitarian in philosophy, showing kindness and sincerity, but do they all share common traits? A murderer and a humanitarian?
 
Paul says first they are futile in their thinking. Their hope is limited because they have not embraced the future with Jesus. Secondly, they are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God [in fact many think there is no God] because their hearts are hard leaving them dwelling in ignorance. Without God who is Light, the only thing that can exist is darkness. Third, they have become spiritually calloused. They have heard it all before. It's old stuff compared to technology and all it brings with it. When they hear the gospel message, they are unaffected and untouched never even getting a glimpse of their true nature. Finally, their lives are ruled by sensuality. To really understand this, one need only to look at the movies, the entertainment, personal relationships, the ratio of divorce to those staying married. It's not a pretty picture!
 
But what about the other side? Have I lost the old and embraced the new? First I must learn Christ. This implies that I must go to the only place where I can truly know Christ, the Bible, the living Word, the Logos. Secondly, I must put off the old self. I must have the desire to do this as I ask Him for the grace and strength to do it. Jesus wants no fence riders. I can not function in both worlds at the same time. Third, I must be renewed in the spirit of my mind. It is in the mind where the battle takes place. Without this renewal I have no chance at all because the transformation comes by the renewing of my mind. Finally, I need to live in the likeness of my Creator in holiness and righteousness. I notice that the text places a 'true' in front of each of these words. This holiness and righteousness are not the result of self. They are not a show or a costume. They must be true coming from the transformation that God, my Creator, has brought about in my life.
 
So I must ask myself if my desire is where it should be. Am I growing and seeking God for each of these areas? Have I used the armor of the Lord to defeat the old nature?
 
Father,
My heart's desire is to live as you would have me live. Give me Your strength and grace to put off and put on. Let me walk in Your image.
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment