Saturday, February 14, 2015

Friends

Ps. 41:9-10

Even my close friend in whom I trusted, who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me. But You, O Lord, be gracious to me, and raise me up...

Even though having a friend is often a difficult relationship to maintain, most would still choose to have one because having none is horrendous. What does being a friend entail? Having someone's back, loyalty, support, loving through the mess-ups...What happens to friendship when ideas and philosophies conflict? Choices have to be made. Sometimes those choices are difficult to make, but even harder to receive. If you have ever been on the receiving end of a broken friendship, you can identify with David. When this person dumped on David, they broke trust. Even more than ending the friendship, this person rose up against David. Would this be a fair weather friend, or are these things just the risks of friendship. Why is friendship such a risky business? Basically because people are selfish. What suits a person for awhile might not always suit them, or they could only be a friend until a better friend could be found, a friend with connections, money, or influence. 

If unselfishness is a determining factor, where would someone ever find a friend? From a purely human point, this could be a search that would take you entire life. But in the spiritual realm, the possibilities are much better. In fact, Jesus would be the best friend ever! Talk about unselfishness, he died so that others might live.  Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. Jesus paid the ultimate price for our friendship. With Him there will be no philosophical differences because He indwells us as does His Spirit. He fills us all in all and transforms our lives. He has promised to be with us til the end of the age. Definitely not the quality of a fair weather friend! He has promised to come back and take us to His home in heaven. Certainly such a friend as this would never have an enemy.

Not so! Judas was one of the 12 who broke bread, traveled with Jesus, witnessed His miracles,and was taught just as the other disciples were. Jesus even washed Judas' feet. Yet, Judas betrayed the best friend he would ever have. For Judas it was a betrayal that he couldn't forget. Throwing back the money could not touch his internal pain. He ended up taking his own life. What a terrible choice and friend! David and Jesus both experienced betrayals at the hands of  friends, friends whom they had trusted. But David was reassured because His God was his friend. His God delighted in him and would not let his enemies triumph over him. 

For me, Jesus supersedes all earthly friends. All He has allowed and will allow in my life is for my good. He has perfectly planned my life so that I can magnify the Father. I can talk to Him at any time sharing all my ups and downs. He can give me peace so that the world does not infect me with its love of the flesh. Jesus has impacted me in so many ways that I could never record them all. But I can truly say Jesus is my best friend!

Father,
Thank You for allowing me to be a friend of Jesus. Your love sent Him to earth for my way to become Your way. And because of that, I am a new creature in Christ. I love You and I love Him.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment