Monday, May 4, 2015

For the Sake of Christ

2 Cor. 12:9-10
And He said to me, My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is make perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  

Paul had apprised the Corinthians of his pedigree and human achievements. On top of that he mentioned his journey with the Lord where he was caught up into Paradise to spend time with the Lord personally. Yet Paul could say with complete understanding that there was nothing to be gained by boasting, except for boasting in Jesus Christ and Him crucified. But on the off chance that he would wish to boast, he was given a thorn in the flesh to keep him from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations. It was a messenger of Satan to harass him much like Peter when he was sifted like wheat or Job when he ended up in the dump scraping his wounds with a piece of broken pottery. Paul asked for the thorn to be removed three times, but Jesus said no. His grace would and should be Paul's strength. For only in weakness is His power perfected. In reality Jesus was ensuring that Paul would not go forward relying on his own strength. 

The wonderful thing is that Christ's strength is there for all of us. Even if we have nothing really boast-worthy, but have only a mountain of weaknesses, His grace is there for us. His grace is my sufficiency. It is the power for my weakness. But still many times, I try and handle life on my own even when I know I have all His power at my disposal. It seems like I have an underlying failure-wish. But no, it really is me caving to my flesh and being deceived by Satan once again. He is the great deceiver who loves to harass all believers, to keep them from enjoying all that God has for them. I want to be able to say like Paul, For the sake of Christ then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.  'For the sake of Christ' should be my motivation for all my thoughts, actions, and attitudes. 

Father,
I love these verses. Thank You for this great grace, for meeting my needs, and for giving me Jesus. You have blessed my life in so many ways.
In Jesus name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment