Sunday, May 31, 2015

Suffering

Ps. 119: 71-72
It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes. The law of Your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

Affliction and suffering are such hard issues, issues that most Christians don't want to embrace. Yet the Bible is clear. David said that affliction was good. It brought him to a place where he could learn the words of God.Why? Perhaps because suffering makes you vulnerable and dependent. Perhaps it tunes the ear to listen and seek comfort in the words that bring the greatest comfort. 

In verse75 it says, I know, O Lord, that Your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness You have afflicted me. It is His faithfulness that brings affliction. Since His faithfulness is part of His character, one of His attributes, it means that His very essence and nature brings affliction. It is not an after thought or whim. It is something that the essence of God dictates. 

Then I think of Rom. 8:16-17. The Spirit Himself bears witness with out spirit that we are the children of God, and if children, then heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided that we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him. Suffering is crucial to our future. It clears the way for our glorification in heaven. Peter says in 2:21, For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in His steps. It is our calling. How can we be less than Christ? We must follow Him if we claim to take His name. In 4:13, Peter says, But rejoice insofar as you share Christ's sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when His glory is revealed. There it is again. Suffering leads the way to rejoicing at the revealing of His glory. The Christian must suffer. Without it, are we identifying with Christ?

Father,
These are hard verses. I do say my affliction is good. It has drawn me so much closer to You. Keep pulling me into Your arms.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment