Wednesday, July 8, 2015

3 Things

2 Thess. 1:3-4
We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers, as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing.
Therefore we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your steadfastness and faith in all your persecutions and in the afflictions that you are enduring.

Paul was thankful for three very important things in the Thessalonian Christians: One, that their faith was growing. Two, that their love for one another was increasing, and Three, that they stood steadfast in faith and in persecution and affliction. Certainly, I could use these three areas as criteria for my own Christian life. 

Is my faith growing? What am I doing to make sure that it is growing? Study, fellowship, attending church, praying, service...I would need all of these and in right proportion. A life of study becomes cerebral without prayer to take it to the heart level. In fact, could any of these without prayer become a liability? Could they give off the essence of being in right relationship with God but without the power that comes from constant communication with Him? I can attest to the truth of this statement. This summer I have done all these things but have been very irregular in prayer. I have experienced repeated flares of temper and lack of self-control. I firmly believe my lack of prayer has left me unsteady in my Christian walk.

Is my love increasing? I would have to say yes. I do cherish the body of Christ and rejoice in all the times that I get to fellowship with them. But I would ask, am I loving them enough to pray for their spiritual growth like Paul prayed for these believers. Once again it comes back to prayer. Finally, am I faithful in persecution and affliction. Well, I haven't experienced any persecution, but my lung disease seems to be active and encroaching on my life again. When I found that out, did I take it to God in prayer immediately, or did I let it undo me for a time. Obviously, the latter was the answer. Why am I so foolish when it comes to prayer? Why is it so much harder than any other discipline?

Father,
I come to You this morning confessing my prayerlessness, something that I am sure grieves Your heart. Help me, Lord. Guide me and strengthen me in this area. I pray for study this morning that all the ladies would make an effort to come and that their hearts would be strengthened.
In Jesus name,
Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment