Sunday, July 19, 2015

Contentment

1 Tim. 6:6
Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content. 

Does godliness flourish when coupled with contentment? If our gaze is averted from the pursuit of worldly things, is it more focused on God and thus on godliness?  Paul said that there was a snare in riches. Once man had achieved them, they have created a gaping hunger and craving for more and more. In fact, this craving can open the door to abandoning the things of God altogether. 

In Phil. 4 Paul also shared on contentment saying that he had learned to be content in any situation. He had been brought low and had abounded, both ends of the spectrum. He shared that he had learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. What is that secret? I am sure that we would all want to know. Here it is: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Christ is the strength in abundance and in need, in plenty and in hunger. How many times have I read this verse and never put it in the context of contentment? Repeatedly! I am sure that it can be applied in many situations, but it might be good to begin with its original context. 

Father,
Give me the strength I need for contentment. Help me to rely on You constantly and in every situation.
In the name of all Strength,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment