Saturday, November 2, 2013

Abide in Me

Jn. 15:5
I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.
 
Jesus is the vine, and the Father is the vinedresser. If I am a branch not attached to the vine [Jesus], I am taken away [burned]. But if I am in the vine [which I am], then I can expect pruning so that I will bear more fruit. Does pruning hurt? Of course it does. But He doesn't send trials and adversity to hurt me. His motive is to grow me so that I might be even more fruitful. Strangely, I often think of the short term [the pain] whereas God thinks of the long term [the fruit of holiness]. To calm my heart and mind, I must put my trust in my sovereign God, letting Him have His way regardless of the pain and my foolish questioning. Instead of wondering why, I need to focus on abiding.
 
At salvation, I was made spiritually clean [sins washed away] by the permanent stain remover, the blood of Jesus. So what is my next step? I must abide in Him and He in me. Without this abiding, I will surely fail and fall repeatedly. I would be just  like a fruitless branch that is disconnected from the vine. Unless I abide in Him, I can do nothing. NOTHING! Nothing that is spiritually true or spiritually lasting. Works done in my flesh [no matter how easy they seem at the time] count for nothing!! What a lesson! It makes me pause and wonder how many works have I done while abiding in Him? Sad, so very sad!
 
If I abide in Him and His words abide [logos- Jesus is the living word] in me, I can ask whatever and it will be done. There is the truth of it! His word must abide in me! Of course, my prayers will be answered because I will be praying in sync with His word. His word will become my word. His word will be my very life-line for all that I do and think.
 
By bearing much fruit [abiding in Jesus and His words in me] the Father is glorified. Not only that but I will prove my authenticity as a child of God and a follower of Jesus. Just like the Father loved Jesus, so Jesus loves me. Abiding in Him means I am abiding in His love! Keeping His commandments is the way to abide in His love [as Jesus did with His Father]. Seems somewhat circular. Abiding--Jesus--Fruit--abiding--word--Answered prayer--abiding--love--obedience--abiding.. And round and round I should go! But the result of all this is joy, His joy in me and my joy will be full! His joy will be my joy!! What else could it be if I abide in Jesus and He abides in me!
 
Father,
What a glorious passage! Thank You for all these blessings. Spirit, teach me how to abide more and more each day. Draw me into the place of blessing, fruit, love, and obedience. Open my eyes to functioning without abiding in You and Your word.
In His name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment