Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Ungodly and Their Ungodly Deeds

Jude 14
It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, Behold the Lord comes with ten thousands of His holy ones, to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deed of ungodliness that they had committed in such an ungodly way, and  of all the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against Him.
 
Jude has previously warned these believers to contend for the faith, to be vigilant and prepared for a spiritual battle. In vs. 8-18 Jude gives a description of these ungodly people who seek to undermine believers and speak horrible things against Jesus Christ. Knowing the enemy is key to fighting the enemy.
 
They are people who rely on dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones. For example, Michael, the archangel, when he had to contend with the devil over the body of Moses, only said May the Lord rebuke you. It was not up to Michael. It is up to Jesus! They also blaspheme what they don't understand and are destroyed by what they do understand! How ironic! God says, Woe! These people have walked in the way of Cain [murderers]. have abandoned themselves for gain [like Balaam], perished in the rebellion [Korah]. Surely such people as these would not be found in the church. Wouldn't they stick our and be easy to spot? No!
 
In the church, they are hidden reefs at love feasts [reefs meant for the destruction of the ship when least expected]as the feast with you without fear [they blend in participating in what believers do], shepherds feeding themselves [without caring for others like a shepherd should], waterless clouds [making promises that never come true], swept along by winds [not steady or true in their course], fruitless trees in late autumn [By their fruit they should be known--no fruit is a significant identifier], twice dead, uprooted, wild waves of the sea, casting up the foam of their own shame [undisciplined, dead in sin, and their own shame becomes their fruit], wandering stars, for whom the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved forever. Their future is hopeless. What they have now is as good as it will be for these directionless, wandering people who seek to take others on this hopeless journey with them.
 
Enoch prophesied about these people as well, Behold the Lord comes with ten thousands of His holy ones, to execute judgment on all and to convict all the ungodly of all their deeds of ungodliness that they have committed in such an ungodly way, and all of the harsh things that ungodly sinners have spoken against Him. Every word and deed will be accounted for! All ungodliness will be punished. These are the grumblers, malcontents, following their own sinful desires. They are loud-mouthed boasters, showing favoritism to gain advantage. How like the corporate world! What an admonition to me. Do I have any of these traits? Do I choose to follow my own sinful desires, or am I taking captive every thought and action for Christ?
 
Rom. 7 reveals Paul struggle with his sin nature. This is where he does what he doesn't want to and doesn't do what he wants to do because of the sin still resident within his body. But it is crucial that his desire was to do good, to be holy, to honor Jesus Christ. That is the key difference in the believer and these horrible unbelievers who are set out to destroy believers. Where is my heart? Where is my focus? Am I letting the world and its allurements weaken my desire for holiness? Has it fooled me into thinking that what I value and do in this world are not that important? Has it jaded my perceptions so that I believe I am good spiritually while I am enjoying the world?
 
Father,
Keep my eyes open for these hidden reefs who are within the church. Give me your grace to be strong. Spirit, open my eyes to my true self so that I might grow into the fullness of the stature of Jesus Christ.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment