Monday, November 11, 2013

Letters to the Churches [continued]

Rev. 2:25-28
Only hold fast what you have until I come. The one who conquers and who keeps my words until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received authority from my Father. And I will give him the morning star.
 
Jesus speaks to the Church in Thyatira as the one who has eyes like a flame of fire and whose feet are like burnished bronze. Such a description is fitting for this church since Thyatira was known for their guilds dealing with metals, and at the same time, these images speak of OT visions of God's glory revealing Jesus as the searcher of minds and hearts and His feet as the crusher of His enemies.
 
Jesus knows their works, love, faith, service, and patient endurance, and that their latter works exceed the first [growth], and yet this was not enough. Sobering thought! At this point it sounds like they were on the right track. So what did Jesus have against them? They were tolerating Jezebel [a prophetess] who was seducing people into sexual immorality and eating unclean food. Jesus has given her time to repent, but she refused. What is the outcome of such seduction? She gets thrown on a sickbed and those her follow her will endure the Great Tribulation unless they repent. Jesus will strike her children dead. What is the final outcome of such judgment? All the churches will know that Jesus is the searcher of hearts and the One who gives according their works.
 
Thankfully, this does not include all members of this church. To those who do not hold this teaching and have not learned the deep things of Satan, Jesus will not lay on them any other burden. What is His instruction to them? Only hold fast what you have until I come. The one who conquers and who keeps my words until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received authority from my Father. And I will give him the morning star. Quite a change of venue! Instead of enduring the tribulation, they will be ruling in the tribulation. A pretty good reason to endure! The morning star is Christ Himself, Israel's ruler and rescuer, who was foreseen by the unwilling prophet Balaam.
 
Lesson for me: Hold fast until Christ comes for me! Conquer by keeping His words until the end. How important is His word! It must be what I cling to constantly! It must be my constant source of life, power, endurance, wisdom, grace, and all that I need to hold fast!
 
Father,
Thank You for giving us Jesus, the Logos, the living word. How powerful it is ! Give me Your grace and strength to endure to the end.
In Jesus' name,
Amen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment