Friday, November 8, 2013

Resplendent and Powerful

Rev. 1:17
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But He laid His right hand on me saying, Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one, I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.
 
John was exiled to the island of Patmos, but while there He saw and recorded many fantastic things. As he was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, a loud voice told him to record what he saw and send it to the 7 churches. As he turned, he couldn't believe what he saw. 
 
There was Jesus, the Son of man standing in the midst of 7 golden lampstands, clothed with a long robe and a golden sash around his chest [divine glory]. His hair was white [divine wisdom], like white wool or snow, His eyes  like a flame of fire[ revealing the truth] and feet like burnished bronze [crushing strength], refined in a furnace. His voice was like the roar of many waters [the power of nature], and in His right hand He held 7 stars, from His mouth came a sharp two-edged sword [Logos, the living word that searches and judges], while His face shone like the sun in full strength [life-giving but also life-destroying]. What an image! No wonder John fell at his feet as one who is dead! When I read these words, they bring to mind unlimited power, complete purity, final judgment, the ability to leave anyone helpless and exposed in His presence, even John.
 
But Jesus' touch lifted him, and he said,  Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one, I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, I have the keys of Death and Hades. So much is said in so few words! His origins, His resurrection and death, His eternal being,  His peace, as well as His future judgment. When he rose from the dead, He conquered sin and death giving Him the keys and the final word! Not only that, but to His own, He gave peace.
 
Even though in exile, John's ministry would continue. [similar to Paul in his imprisonment.] Jesus explained that the 7 stars were the angels [personifications of the character of each church] of the 7 churches, and the 7 lampstands were the 7 churches. Are these 7 churches representative of all churches or were they specific?
 
Father,
I see that Jesus is so overwhelmingly righteous and powerful, and yet at the same time reached down and saved me. What a glorious God You are! As I go through this book, Spirit teach me to understand and apply.
In His name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment