Friday, November 1, 2013

The Holy Spirit

Jn. 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.
 
Jesus was preparing his disciples for his return trip to heaven. He assured them that he would not leave them orphans to fend for themselves and be eaten up by the wolves of false doctrine and false teachers. One disciple wanted to know how Jesus could manifest Himself to them but not to the world. Jesus answered. If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come and make our home with him. Not only that, but Jesus was sending the Helper, the Holy Spirit to be with them, indwelling them, and teaching them all things. In essence he was saying, I am leaving you protected and safe so don't worry. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts by troubled, neither let them be afraid. This peace would last their entire lives. It was not dependent upon circumstances, but on the completed act of Christ's sacrifice. Once for all, He took the punishment for sin leaving all of us who believer reconciled to the Father.
 
Why did he tell them all this? So that when it took place, they would know and recognize it. So they would know there would be no surprises. Imagine how they felt! They had been with Jesus non-stop and now He was going away. I am sure they cried out NO in their hearts. What could be better than one-on-one with Jesus? So when they would see the horrible torturous death of Jesus, they would know it had no part with the ruler of this world. Jesus died because He obeyed the Father and did what the Father had commanded Him to do. Just as they would have to do now. It is easy for me to write this because I see it as a finished work, but they did not! They were living in the moment with raw emotions and massive insecurities. But the Helper would be there to radically change their lives and give them a mission that would rock the world.
 
Father,
Thank You for this peace and for the Helper. Sharpen the ears of my heart to hear the teaching voice of the Spirit in me. Take away my penchant for busyness and let me be still before You.
In His name,
Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment