Monday, July 28, 2014

Guard

1 Tim. 6:20
O Timothy, guard the deposit entrusted to you. 

Paul addressed Timothy as a man of God, someone to whom Jesus Christ was the very center of his core. Timothy had been trained by Paul himself so no doubt this list had special meaning for Timothy. Not only had he been taught these things but now he was having a review. How great it would be if I had a review of my focus! I guess I do when I read the word every day, but I wonder how I would feel if I received a letter like this from a spiritual mentor, from someone personally interested in my spiritual life! Would I be offended or spurred on to obey? Obviously it demonstrates the degree of faithfulness and maturity that should be between believers. It clearly shows how much we should be in each other's lives [and not just for a visit].

First Paul said,  flee these things [that is temptations no matter what form they take]. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, 14 to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, Paul's instructions demanded action. Timothy was to pursue, take hold, and to keep. The Christian life is no easy walk. It wasn't for Paul or Timothy, and it certainly isn't for me. These are heavy words demanding great responsibility! In fact, they are humanly impossible without the power of the Spirit. Paul concluded his commands to Timothy by saying to guard the deposit! The deposit is Jesus Christ and His indwelling Spirit of God. Unstained and free from reproach is how I want to live for Jesus. Is my obedience in sync with my desires?

Father,
Sobering thoughts this morning. Give my your grace and power to obey what You have commanded. Help me to live a life unstained and free from reproach. Help me to guard the deposit!
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment