Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Destiny

1 Thess. 3: 3
that no one be moved by these afflictions. For you yourselves know that we are destined for this. 

Paul was deeply concerned that the Thessalonians' faith would be altered because of the afflictions that they were enduring. He wanted to assure them that affliction and faith would always go hand-in-hand. It is the destiny of every believer to suffer! What a thought! Our destiny is suffering. According to the dictionary destiny is what happens in the future : the things that someone or something will experience in the future. Also, a power that is believed to control what happens in the future. God is that power that controls the events of the believer's life. He sets all in motion even the suffering.  

But even when believers fully understand this destiny, there is always the temptation to cave in the midst of the pain. Paul wanted to know how it was the Thessalonians. Had they stood or had they fallen prey to the tempter? Timothy had returned from visiting the Thessalonians. He could say that they had stood. Their faith was in tact. What a comfort to Paul! His labor had not been in vain, but His heart's desire was to come to them to teach them more about the faith. 

When I think of the believer's suffering, I think of 1 Pet. 2:21 for to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in His steps. It is my calling to walk as Jesus walked. Out of love for me, He died [the ultimate suffering]. Out of love for Him, I walk as He walked. Strange to think that the ultimate test of love is suffering. 

Father,
I know in my head that I am called to suffer. But I also know how weak my flesh is. Give me Your strength and grace so that I might fulfill the destiny You have planned for me.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment