Monday, July 7, 2014

The Down Times

Ps. 142:3
When my spirit faints within me, you know my way.

David was in a low place emotionally and spiritually because of the men who were dogging him. He could find no place of safety so he took refuge in a cave. As he was crying out to the Lord, he begged for mercy and poured out his soul to the Lord telling Him all his troubles. He felt that no one really cared about his soul. Such desperation and isolation! It was almost as if David was imprisoned by his enemies.Yet, he still knew that God was the One who could come to his aid. 

David's spirit was so low that his spirit was close to fainting within him. He felt his enemies had hidden a trap for him [taking away all safety].  He was in the depths of isolation, misery, and depression. But even in the midst of this low tide, he knew that God would know exactly where he was if he were to faint. He acknowledged his sovereign God, the God that was his refuge [his place of safely] and his portion in the land of he living. He asked God to attend to him in his very low state, to lift up in his spirit. He so needed the touch of God. And finally he prayed for physical deliverance. He saw no earthly hope! He asked God to bring him out of prison so that he could thank God and be surrounded by others who loved God. He knew God would deal bountifully with him. His only recourse was to wait on the Lord. How hard this is when such desperation has claimed the soul. 

What a psalm! I think of times when I am low, do I go to God and express these great truths? It makes me think of Saeed who is locked in a brutal and inhumane prison. I am sure that he has shared many of David's negative feelings, but at the same time has taken himself right to God. Some have said that believers should never be depressed. But I think that this psalm shows that believers can come to God when they are negative and at their wit's end. They can come when depression has seized their soul.  If only we would remember to come and not muck around in our self-pity and depression. There is a weird kind of joy when a peson dwells on their depression instead of coming to God. If we would come to God and acknowledge who He is and how we are in relation to Him, we could then find our way out.  

Father,
When I am low and feel useless, bring to my mind this psalm. Help me to come to You and remember what is true about You. Help me to rest in You and who You are.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment