Friday, July 18, 2014

The Example

1 Tim. 1:12-14
I thank him who has given me strength, Christ Jesus our Lord, because he judged me faithful, appointing me to his service,  though formerly I was a blasphemer, persecutor, and insolent opponent. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

What an example! Paul was as opposed to Jesus and the gospel as any person could be. He blasphemed Jesus, persecuted the church of Jesus, and opposed the gospel in all forms, yet God judged him faithful. God had a plan and a purpose for Paul's life. Paul was bathed in the mercy and grace of God giving him faith and love. All of which are found in Christ. The one whom he hated now became the one he loved. His life had turned completely in the other direction. Paul did attest to the truth of this statement: The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. Jesus comes to those who can admit their sins as well as their sinful state. If you know and believe you're a sinner, Jesus is the one for you. Paul received the mercy of God so that Jesus might display His perfect patience as an example to those who were to believe in Him for eternal life. Jesus wanted us to see the transformation practically, in the flesh. Certainly for this and so much more Jesus should be honored and glorified forever.  

After this great example, Paul went on to charge Timothy to wage the good warfare, to stand in the power of Jesus. He was to hold fast and keep a good conscience always. Certainly knowing and seeing the example of Paul's life had impacted Timothy. He felt like Paul's son in the faith, but even with that intense relationship Timothy could stray from the faith like Hymenaeus and Alexander.  After reading this passage, I can clearly see what God can do in a life wholly given to Him. I know I am a sinner saved by grace, but saved for what? He wants my life to emulate Paul's life. God has shown it clearly. Am I on guard constantly? Is my conscience clear? Am I waging war? 

Father,
Like Paul, I know You have chosen me for a specific plan and purpose. Give me Your strength and grace to stand and to wage the good warfare. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment