Thursday, July 24, 2014

Provision for Relatives

1 Tim. 5:4
But if a widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show godliness to their own household and to make some return to their parents, for this is pleasing in the sight of God.

As my parents are aging, I am thinking about the concepts mentioned in this passage. Even though the passage is speaking to widows about their behavior, attitudes, and purpose. I think the principles would apply in a reverse way. My parents have reached a point where I need to do many things for them. First I think I should make some return to my parents.They took care of me for 21 years, and now it is time for me to take care of them. But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. Family means relationships and responsibilities. It should not be a not drudge, but a joy! Certainly it interferes with many things that I have in place, but that is not the point. The point is that they need care, and I am responsible for it. They don't need to be shuffled off to a facility. I thank God for them and the great influence they have had on me. I dearly love them. 

Father,
Thank You for ordering the structure within the family. Give me guidance as I care for my parents. Show me how to make it happen.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment