Saturday, January 17, 2015

A Psalm for Today

Ps. 16:1-2
Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge.
I say to the LORD, "You are my Lord; I have no good apart from you."


In this Ps. David either begins a beloved doctrine or echoes other great verses in Scripture, ones that ring true in the lives of believers today. Saints can rejoice because the emotion of David's heart are the same as ours today. This is one of those psalms that should be memorized. It has so many comforting concepts that could be called up in times of crisis.  How many times have we thought circumstances would weigh us down, even defeat us completely. David felt this way when he asked for preservation. In Ps. 145 David says that the Lord preserves those who love Him. Certainly David had a heart for God.

In v. 2 he says that he knows all good is from the Lord. Rom. 8:28 says And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. This is one of the great promises of God that believers hang on to today.

V. 3 says the saints in the land are excellent and are his delight. Those who know Jesus have instant kinship. We are united at the feet of Jesus with thanksgiving and praise to our God. This same idea captivated the early church. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Verses 5-6 say The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot. The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; Indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance. Col 1:12 says giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. David chose the Lord as should we. He needs to be ever before us.

Verses 7-8 say that David blesses the Lord who gives him counsel and instruction day and night. He keeps the Lord before him, in decisions, in problems, and in times of blessings. In another psalm David says he will not fear what man can do to him because the Lord is his portion. Jesus is the true originator of  'no fear'. 

Because of all these reasons David rejoices in the Lord.  His heart is glad not in what the world can offer but in his God. He wholeheartedly rejoices with every part of his being. He is assured of his place in eternity. God does not abandon those whom he calls as His own. He has made know to him the path of life and joy, and David looks forward to an eternity with Him. 

Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.
For you will not abandon my soul to Sheol, or let your holy one see corruption.
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

What an amazing psalm this is! It is meat for the soul of every saint including me.

Father,
Thank You for this word today. How blessed I am for having a God like You. I bless You for giving me a life with You and for not allowing corruption to threaten me. You are before me and counsel me in all circumstances. Thank You, Lord.
In Jesus name,
Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment