Friday, January 30, 2015

One Thing

Ps. 27

This psalm has an abundance of  musical and poetic verses, and yet what I love about it has more to do with the content. However, with that said, perhaps it is the poetic, musical writing style that enhances the content. Yes, God thoughts breathed out through David produced something that has brought comfort and hope to countless generations, me included!

 I can't begin reading v. 1 without hearing the majestic melodies of  The Lord Is My Light. That association is there forever. The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? What is a man compared to my God? Why then do I fear man if I know that God has the upper hand at all times? I guess it is not a lack of faith that God will act, but it more of an acceptance of what His will might be. Either way, where is my faith? David knows that his confidence is in the Lord and so must mine be also. I must not fear the places where following His will might take me. 

Verses 4-5 have impacted my soul so often. They translate in the most beautiful way my heart's desire. One thing have I asked of the LORD, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to inquire in his temple.
For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will lift me high upon a rock. One thing...was this David's overarching request? He consistently sought for the heart of God, and wanted nothing better than to dwell in God's house. Is this gazing upon His beauty just a poetic statement? Can we gaze upon His beauty? I think this gazing is the personal, transparent communication and time spent with our God. No doubt we will not have the confidence of v. 1 without the intimacy of v. 4. David was a man after God's own heart. Secondly, he wanted to inquire of the Lord face to face. As he gazed in worship, he was free to inquire. What an example for all believers to emulate! A personal experience of worship had transformed his life. Is this possible for me? Of course. I can see and know God through His word and through His Spirit leading me in my prayers. I only have to access these gifts. Why does saying that seem like such a let down compared to David's words?  Maybe believers haven't been in the word enough to allow these wonderful times of intimacy to happen. Are we trying to gaze as we are on the run? Is our gazing part of a check list? Has it reduced are gazing and inquiring to the bare minimum? Are they part of our One thing, or are our minds so clouded with the world that these verses seem out of left field. It speaks to the priorities of all believers and uniquely to me. What is the end result? My life will be hidden with Christ in God. Hidden in His shelter, concealed under the cover of His tent, and lifted high upon the rock! What more? Glorious! Beautiful! [I definitely think the beauty of these words made the content more precious. They have become a soul-song to me.]

v. 11 is another representation of how I pray. Teach me your way, O LORD, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. For David they were physical enemies who sought to take his life. Not to say that I don't have enemies like that or won't have enemies like that in the future, but for now I have temptations. They are seeking to bring me down, to make me lose hope, and to bring discouragements in droves. But I can claim this prayer. I can pray it back to God. and He will answer. I can quietly go to gazing and inquiring. My heart can be renewed in His strength.

And in verses 13-14 David ends hopefully. I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living! Wait for the LORD; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the LORD! No matter the enemies, or how close they are, or if his men are deserting, or if his own children are seeking his life, No matter. David has hope! He believes what is true about God. He will look on the goodness of the Lord. And wait! Waiting is so hard for anyone. We are impatient because our lives are often speeding out of control. I imagine David was impatient for God to act, to save his life. Regardless, David had to wait, to be strong, and take courage. I notice he says wait twice. I am sure that lesson was a reality in His life. Believers need constant reminding to wait on the Lord, not to do what we think is God's will in our strength. He doesn't need our help. He needs our waiting. In waiting we have slowed down enough to hear Him and to look on His goodness, His attributes, His divine power, and what He had done in our lives and in David's life. What a blessing this psalm brings! My heart is stirred. I can only imagine how many believers have felt exactly the same way as I have this morning.

Father,
Thank You for speaking through David so that I might hear these beautiful words loaded with meaning just for my life. Keep me ever gazing on Your beauty and waiting for what you have for me. Teach me to know You better.
In Jesus name,
Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment