Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Blessings

Ps. 18

Verse 1-2   The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.  David knew the truth of these words. He had run from his enemies a very long time, but the running had ceased. The Lord had proved Himself strong. What is good to see is that David constantly called on the name of the Lord. No matter how near or far, the Lord was still his constant companion.

Verse 6  In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears. David describes his help from God as the earth rocked, reeled, trembled, quaked, and became dark. God bowed the heavens bringing hailstones, thick clouds, and coals of fire. When the Lord delivers, He comes with all the force of His might. All nature becomes His weapon.

Verses 17-19  He rescued me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the LORD was my support. He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me.  God rescued David because He was David's support, and most of all, because God delighted in him. God delights in the soul that is His, in the soul that constantly depends on Him. Sometimes for that to happen God must send an enemy that is too  strong to handle. Praise God for the battle where we can depend on God!

Verses 24-30  So the LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight. With the merciful you show yourself merciful; with the blameless man you show yourself blameless; with the purified you show yourself pure; and with the crooked you make yourself seem tortuous. For you save a humble people, but the haughty eyes you bring down. For it is you who light my lamp; the LORD my God lightens my darkness. For by you I can run against a troop, and by my God I can leap over a wall. This God--his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him. Our obedience is important to God. He particularly despises those who are proud and self-sufficient. He loves those who are righteous, merciful, blameless, pure, and humble. The Lord was light for David, and He is light for me as well. His way is perfect and true because He is perfect and true. His way is the outworking of His character and attributes in the lives of men.

Verses 31-32  For who is God, but the LORD? And who is a rock, except our God?--the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. Rhetorical questions cause the reader to form the obvious and right conclusion. This is a no-brainer! God is God, a God who is a rock and gives those who love Him His strength.

Verses 46-59  the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation-- the God who gave me vengeance and subdued peoples under me, who delivered me from my enemies; yes, you exalted me above those who rose against me; you rescued me from the man of violence. For this I will praise you, O LORD, among the nations, and sing to your name. Great salvation he brings to his king, and shows steadfast love to his anointed, to David and his offspring forever. David is triumphant over his enemies but he gives all the glory to God who equipped him with the needed strength. For this great deliverance David praises and sings to His God. God and David did have a special relationship. His kingly line would never be without someone on the throne. God had blessed David and his offspring.

This applies to me as well. All the promises He made to David are there for me. Grace, strength, and wisdom are constant weapons in my arsenal. But it doesn't have to be a battle of kingly proportion.He is just as willing to help me in the spiritual battles that are my daily enemies. He still is my rock, my salvation, my steadfast love, and my God who is merciful, and pure. His blessings are there for all who name His name as their own.

Father,
Thank You for the record of Your hand in the life of David. I know that You can be all those things to me as well. Help me to come to You constantly with a heart of praise and thankfulness.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment