Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Name of the Lord

Psalm 20:7-9
Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. They collapse and fall, but we rise and stand upright. O LORD, save the king! May he answer us when we call.

This is a prayer psalm that the congregation offered for King David's protection. It begins by petitioning God to answer David when he is in trouble and then realizing that the very name of God is a protection in itself. It continues by asking God to send help from Zion and to remember David's offerings and sacrifices. The prayer continues by asking God to grant David's plan and desires. A shout for joy was lifted up for David's salvation and was followed by banners.The love of the king was meshed with their love of God.The psalmist knows that the Lord saves His anointed and will come with His saving right hand. 

What a wonderful prayer! It is just as valid today as it was all those years ago. Protection is a huge issue today. Maybe not in war within America,  but of evil people who do horrendous things. The name of God is so precious to me. It has a power all of its own. Many times I have asked God about my plans and desires because I want my plans to be God's plans and the same goes for my desires. I love the Lord so much that banners wouldn't be out of order. 

Verses 7-9 are so precious to me. With God, there should be no fear of man. My trust is not in what I own, possess, or in my position. It is not in my bank account or in things that that I have accomplished. Everything that I have has been given me by God.  All that the world offers will not go the distance. Just around the corner will be a recession destroying the economy, or the government will be constantly infringing on our personal rights. Even though there is not much good, but the exception are those who know the Lord as I do. There is sweet fellowship around the Lord. We rise and stand upright in the power and strength of God. His answer are always my good.

Father,
Thank You for answering prayer, for being the God that You are, and for working in my life. You constantly answer me and shape and mold my life into what is my good. Build my trust and faith as I live out what You have for me.
In Jesus name, 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment