Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Follow

Jn. 15: 14-16
If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.
For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you. Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

Jesus, the Son of God, humbled Himself and washed the disciples feet. [And yet there was even a greater humbling yet to follow, His humbling to the point of death.] In like fashion, we are to feel toward one another in the same way that Jesus felt toward His disciples, that is being willing to humble ourselves to the level of foot washing. In our society foot washing isn't done, and to me it seems awkward and yucky! Yet the attitude behind it isn't. Complete humility, seeking the good of another before our own, caring and loving as Christ loved! We must do this because if we don't, we are putting ourselves on a higher plane than Jesus Christ. No one would ever say that, but our actions would reveal that. How foolish on our part not to think about what our actions are saying. If Jesus states it explicitly, it is important. Humility is an integral part of our Christian walk even though it is counter-cultural in America. 

In America, someone who is humble is considered a doormat, someone easily manipulated. We are given the mindset from an early age to go after what we want, to get ahead, to be the best, and to excel over others. None of these mindsets encourage humility. Just as our salvation was counter-cultural so is our Christian walk. God's word must now become our mandate, our way of life, and our new mindset. We must follow Him walking in His footsteps all the time. 1 Peter says those footsteps include suffering, things that are way worse that washing another brother's feet. John 13 goes on to say, If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them. Do I want a blessing? Yes. Then humility is the path that I must take. I must be aware of every step that I take so that it aligns with Jesus Christ. 

Father,
Help me walk in Your way. Give me a heart of humility, one that seeks not else but walking as Jesus did. I confess to having pride in my life, to having a heart of insensitivity, and to having a mouth with unkind words. Forgive. And give me Your grace!
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment