Thursday, October 1, 2015

Humility

1 Pet. 5:6 
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time He may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you.

Humility, who can understand it and make it happen? So important and yet so illusive. But oh so important to God. We humble ourselves under God because He is God, divine, eternal and we are human, temporal, and mortal. Quite a difference, and yet the pride of man exalts himself above God! How foolish! Peter gives two reasons for humility. One being God can than exalt you at the proper time. What time is that? Who know? But that is up to Him, and that is something well worth waiting for. 

Two being that when we are humble, we can actually cast our anxiety on Him. As long as pride is in control, we think we can do it ourselves, or we fall into a pool of self-pity which is just inverse pride. Either way are we giving it to God? No. We hang on seeking control and creating anxiety. In essence we are saying that God can't control this as well as I can. Anyone who truly believes this is foolish! Many times I have thought I knew best, but in recent history, I do know that I don't. [Maybe older age has taught me something!] I still have trouble relinquishing control, but whenever I see that happening, I know pride is operating. 

The other problem I have is when worry is absent from the equation. When I neglect to cast each moment on Him, I am still operating in pride. Often without thinking, I operate on auto-pilot. Well, auto-pilot is still me! God is not my default until I get to heaven. I must consciously give to him my moments, my decisions, my actions, my thoughts, and my attitudes, all I am and have. 

Father,
Help me to talk to You constantly all throughout the day. Open my eyes to see who is piloting my life. Teach me humility. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment