Thursday, October 15, 2015

What Sort of People?

2 Pet. 3:11-13
Since all these things are thus to be dissolved, what sort of people ought you to be in lives of holiness and godliness, waiting for and hastening the coming day of the God, because of which the heavens will be set on fire and dissolved, and the heavenly bodies will melt as they burn! But according to His promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. 

The day of the Lord will come! It is a fact! The scary part is that it will not be expected. It will be as a thief seeking to plunder. But when that happens, events will be set in motion. The heavens will pass away with a roar burning up the heavenly bodies. And the end result will be the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed!  There will be no hiding place! Sure and swift judgment will follow. 

Peter's plea is to those who know Jesus. In light of all this [everything Peter has written], what kind of person will you be? What kind of person will I be? Will I be living a life of holiness and godliness as I wait for Jesus to call me home? Will I be sharing the gospel so that the day of the Lord will come quickly? Or will I be enjoying my time on earth so much so that I have lost my focus? Are my feet so firmly planted that I am sluggish for Jesus? I so hope not! Therefore, beloved, since you are waiting for these, be diligent to be found by Him without spot of blemish. And count the patience of our Lord as salvation...Thankfully God is so  patient and loving. But I can't take advantage of that. I must be diligent!

I think back in this small letter to certain phrases. Make every effort, Be all the more diligent, But do not overlook this fact,  what sort of people ought to be be, and finally Therefore, be diligent.  These phrases speak of energy, of dedication and forward thinking, and of complete obedience. These phrases speak of the Christian I want to be and should be!

Father,
Through Your grace and strength give me the desire and the means to be obedient to Your words. Help me to speak out boldly and share your love and salvation. 
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment