Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Sufficiency

2 Cor. 12:1-10

Even though Paul had ample reasons to boast, he didn't. He boasted only of his weaknesses. Strange, who boasts of weakness? But was Paul always like that, or was there a history behind this attitude and behavior? As a safety net to keep him from the sin of boasting because of the great experiences that he had had with Jesus on the road to Damascus and in the desert, God gave him a thorn in his flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass him, to keep him from becoming conceited. I am sure Paul felt he could resist such boasting on his own, and consequently he pleaded with the Lord to take it away 3 separate times. But the Lord, who knows the end from the beginning and who has set all of our days before time began, knew better. He said to Paul, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  God's word to him was about grace and was grace to him. His grace was to be Paul's sufficiency. He wanted Paul to glory only in Him not in any works of his flesh. And Paul's response was, Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. No pouting or bemoaning the issue! He accepted it as from the God that he loved, and trusted God knowing that what He allowed was for Paul's best. 

Father,
These verses have always been so meaningful to me. Thank You for such a grace that it can meet every need that I might have. I am truly blessed. 
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment