Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Gospel

I Thess. 2:7
But we were gentle among you, like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. 

The Struggle: Since Paul and his companions were shamefully rejected at Philippi, you might have thought they would be deterred in spreading the gospel. But no, they were not. In fact, they had boldness in their God to declare to you [the Thessalonians] the gospel of God in the midst of much conflict. Sharing the gospel was not an easy thing!

The Message: Paul's appeal was pure with no admixture of falsehood. He and his team did not attempt to deceive [like some false teachers were doing.] They never came with flattery or greed. nor did they seek personal glory [as some did]. As an apostle, Paul could have made demands on the people, but he did not. His supreme desire was to preach the gospel. To support his case, Paul told them he and his team had been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel. With God's approval what else is necessary!

The How:  The team was gentle like a nursing mother taking care of her own children. [ There were no veiled threats.] Paul went on to state that they were affectionately desirous of them. They were ready to share with the Thessalonians not only the gospel [which was great in and of itself], but themselves because these people were so very dear to them. 

Application: Paul has given me some great principles for sharing the gospel. First, I mustn't allow rejection and trial to be a deterrent. The gospel will bring either a joyous reception or an equally strong rejection. There are more people in other places who need to know the truth. Secondly, I need to make sure the message I share is spot on! I need to know the word if I am to share the word. Finally, I need to be gentle in my sharing and ready to invest myself into the life of another. Sharing the message is more than a 5 minute speel, it is sharing life with a life that I would need to nurture. 

Father,
Thank You that Your word gives principles, and also examples of how to do it. Banish fear from my heart and help me to share boldly. I see that to share like Paul did I would need to be selfless. Help me to deal with my selfish heart.
In Jesus' name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment