Wednesday, December 17, 2014

For This Reason [Part 2]

2 Pet. 1:5-7
For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.and knowledge with self-control, 

Whether or not these traits come in chronological order or not, they are all a visible evidence of the indwelling Christ and His Spirit [2 Pet. 1: 5-7]. Since I have already written about virtue and knowledge, I am moving on to self-control. I know from personal experience that having self-control is hugely difficult, and that is even in the smallest of areas. Trying to implement this quality without the strength and grace of God is nearly impossible. Prov. 25:28 says that a man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls. In this case, self-control is needed for defense. Without it, total destruction. When self-control is not working in a life, then there is anger, temper, irritation, flying off the handle, and any number of negative behaviors. 

In addition to Peter,  Paul compares self-control to an athlete's discipline. [1 Cor. 9: 24-27 ]. In a race all runners run, but only one receives the prize. In v. 25 it says, Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Self-control is vital for the win. As for Paul personally, he states that he does not run the Christian life aimlessly, but keeps his eye on the goal, the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. He doesn't beat the air aimlessly, but instead never loses sight of his goal. It is ever before his eyes. He disciplines his body keeping it under control. Without this focus on the eternal prize, self-control becomes nearly impossible. 

Self-control is also a fruit of the Spirit. That means that we have our own personal internal coach 24/7. He is there to grow us in self-control as well as in love, joy, peace, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, and gentleness. God has given us all we need to walk by His Spirit and in His light, to walk in self-control. The Spirit convicts us when we go off the path, and He can brings us back on the right way. He can keep the prize constantly before our eyes if we ask Him. Strangely enough, I don't think that I have asked the Spirit to keep the prize before my eyes. And this is one that I must do!

Timothy also wrote about self-control.[2 Tim. 1:7] He says that God gave us a spirit of fear but of power and love and self-control. Oh my! This is spiritual gift from God Himself. When I constantly lack self-control am I throwing the gift back in His face? Am I an ingrate to the One who sent His Son to save me and make me His child? His cost was great. Is my self-control commensurate with the cost?  Am I using the Spirit, the precious and very great promises, and the indwelling Spirit? God has given me so very much, and still my flesh betrays me time after time. 

Father,
My heart is deeply grieved this morning. I have failed miserably when it comes to self-control. You conquered my temper, and my heart rejoices about that. I need help in self-control. I cry out for help. Even though these areas are not as big or destructive as a temper, they are the little foxes that reek havoc in my vineyard. 
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment