Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Therefore [Part 2]

2 Pet. 1:12-15
Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have. I think it right, as long as I am in this body, to stir you up by way of reminder, since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things.

Peter begins this section, with a Therefore. In this case, he is referring to everything from v. 3  to v. 11. It is so heavy on his heart and so needful for believers that he always needs to remind them of these qualities. They should be in the forefront of their minds, in their prayers, and in their exhortations to one another. Peter goes to explain that even though the believers know them and are firmly established in the faith, they still need reminding. Why? Initially, these areas shape the entire Christian walk. These are the identifying mark of believers. They are the path to living worthy of the call to which we have been called.  Secondly, they are the very areas that Satan uses to detract the Christian from his calling and election. He very cleverly get the believer to think that these areas are a matter of personality or that they are justified in their failures because of their situation, experiences, and relationships. Thirdly, these are the areas that our flawed human flesh clings to with all the strength of the old nature. And because of all this, we need constant reminding. Satan seems to cloud our vision when it comes to these qualities. We cave most readily when it comes to having these qualities in our lives.

Peter says it is right for him to do this because his years left in this earthly body are few. He realizes his time is at hand. Perhaps Peter attitude reflects Ps. 71:17-18. O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim Your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hair, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim Your might to another generation, Your power to all those to come. Even though he is not going to live to ripe old age and even as he knows his execution is coming soon, he stills feels an urgency to share these qualities with those who are to follow. All his efforts now are so that the believers will be able to recall these qualities after he is gone. In fact this brief letter is his final reminder to the churchers. These qualities are heavy on his heart. He wants those who know Jesus to live a life fully pleasing to God. 

Father,
I see the urgency and the importance of living with and by my new nature. I confess I often fall in these areas not just in my relationships but in my private life. Give me clarity to see Satan's ploys in all of these qualities. Jesus, I need Your strength to stand and walk as I should. Help me.
In Your name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment