Monday, December 15, 2014

The Grant [Part 2]

2 Pet 1:4
by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.

The same power that granted to believers all things pertaining to life and godliness also grants to believers His promises. When I think of promises in a worldly setting, they are often hollow. We say something we would like to happen and call it a promise. But most times, we cannot guarantee it. There are so many factors out of our control. For the believer, any promise made would need to be qualified with 'if the Lord wills'. But God is 100% different. When He promises something, it is a fact. His Word is His surety! 

His precious and very great promises are all recorded for us in His word. Since our situation is so different from the original believers who received this letter, I know that the implications of the promises would be much different. They had no written word per se only the letters from the apostles. However, in the zeal department, they excelled so much more than believers today. God had given them exactly what they needed to spread the gospel. For believer today, these 2 promises should have manifold implications. We only need to open the pages of our Bibles [ Most believers in America have several Bibles in their homes]. But with all this, how do believers live? Where is our zeal? Are we living in the reality of these promises?

This promise in particular states we can become partakers of His divine nature. Never can we be as God is, but we can possess His divine nature. This is our transformation into the image of Christ! The Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God, adopted into His family. We are heirs, even joint heirs with Christ. He was the first of many brethren, praise God we are part of the many brethren! Because of Jesus sacrifice on the cross, His shed blood, and His resurrection, we may become partakers of the divine nature. If God has drawn us to Himself, we can escape the corruption in the world by having our desires transformed, no more desire for sin, for the flesh, for the world and all it offers, instead we desire the things of God, fellowship with other saints, listening to sermons, prayer, sharing Christ with others, and Christ's return, He is our hope! This verse 
provides a check for me. What do I desire with my time, my choices, and my priorities.  Where do I spend my money? God was serious about me to the point that He offered the life of His Son that I might be saved. How serious am I about living for God? 

Father,
Help me to keep my priorities right. I know my desires have been transformed, but there are times my flesh takes over in spite of my desires. I confess it Lord. I know You always forgive. Thank You, Lord. Guide me this day.
In Jesus name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment