Thursday, December 11, 2014

Equal Standing

2 Pet. 1:1

Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ.

Peter began the letter using his Hebrew name, but in 1 Pet. he only used Peter. Is there any significance to that? Off the top, I would have to say that his authenticity is to both Gentiles and Jews. But regardless, he is stating his apostleship as he did in 1 Pet. As for the date of the book, many have claimed that he wrote it from Rome not long before his martyrdom which could explain the urgency of his message. 

What is so wonderful is that believers have equal standing with the apostles! Not by any works that we have done, but because we have obtained the righteousness of Jesus Christ. In Christ there is no Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave, free; But Christ is all and in all. [Col. 3:11] Since memorizing Eph. 4, I have been meditating on a different aspect of this. It says the grace was given to us according to the measure of Christ's gift. He gave the apostles, prophets, evangelists, and the shepherds and teachers. Then it goes on to mention their purpose, that is to equip the saints for the work of the ministry, for building up the body of Christ until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of Christ. So basically, I was thinking that there was a heiracrchy and that the until we all attain part was referring to me and other believers, not necessarily to the apostles. But I see now that the we is referring to all believers, apostles included. I should have made that connection from the Col. verses. But I have now! This only makes sense since Rom. 8 tells us that we have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, Abba! Father! The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children then heirs--heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him. What a standing we have in Christ!  [I am thinking the hierarchy is only in purpose.]

Without the righteousness of Christ, I would be lost and undone. I would have no relationship with God, Christ, or the Spirit. I would be bound for an eternity in the lake of fire suffering eternal torment. I would have no sisters in the Lord, no fellowship of the body, and no spiritual leaders.I would be in the fellowship of sinners, walking their way, living in the futility of my mind, speaking and thinking horrible things. Not good! I am so blessed to be covered in the righteousness of Christ.

Father,
Thank You for choosing and drawing me to Yourself. Thank You for my Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ. Thank You for covering me in the righteousness of Christ.
In His name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment