Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Alpha and the Omega.

Rev. 22

In the last chapter of Revelation John identifies himself as the one who heard and saw these things. The angel reaffirms to him that only God Himself should be worshiped. Angels are just fellow servants with John, his brothers, and the prophets, and should never be worshiped. 

To complete his vision, John sees the sparkling river of life which flows from the throne of God and the Lamb through the middle of the street. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its 12 kinds of fruit yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. The curse is lifted. The throne of God and the Lamb will be in the midst of the city, and his servants will worship Him. They will see His face, and His name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever.

The angel affirmed that the words of this prophecy were trustworthy and true just as all the words of God are trustworthy and true. In fact this message is found 7 times in the last 2 chapters of the book  
[ 21:5, 22:6, 7, 9,10, and then the warning in 18-19].  How important are the words of God. Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God. The essence is Worship God! The blessing given to the one who keeps the prophesies of this book echoes the one given in 1:3. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. John is warned not to seal up this book because it will soon come to pass. During that interim patterns of behavior whether controlled  by unbelief or by faith will be spiritually irreversible. 

Jesus speaks saying, "Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done.I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. Almost as if giving words that need to be read and heeded today, John tells of a blessing for those who have washed their robes. They will access to the tree of life. But outside of this holy city are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolators, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood. A solemn warning! If any one those people were reading this book or hearing this message today, they would see what it would be like to worship God and be a part of His eternal kingdom, but they must not kid themselves, there is no entrance apart from Jesus Christ. Those outside the gates will suffering eternal torment in the lake of fire."I, Jesus, have sent my angel to testify to you about these things for the churches. I am the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star." 

The Spirit and the Bride, as well as the one who hears, say, Come. This is an invitation to Jesus to come. Jesus responds saying, Surely I am coming soon. Amen. Come,  Lord Jesus. I know this is the cry of every believer's heart. We long for Jesus to come and take us to Himself where we will know Him as He is and be like Him as He is. But this invitation is also to those who are who are thirsty. They may drink the water, the living water, without price. What a wonderful gift! One drink changes the life. 

Finally, one more solemn warning about the words of this book is given. If anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. Jesus Himself then speaks saying, "Surely I am coming soon." It is so exciting to read these words! He is coming soon! The timing of the book speaks to the concept that a day with the Lord is as a thousand years. It has be a very, long time since John recorded this book and since Jesus said He was coming soon, but I am still waiting expectantly! It will be a soon in God's timing! I must be ready at any moment. The book concludes with a benediction, the grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen.  

As I have now finished my reading plan [ read the Bible through in a year], I can say a hearty Amen! What  a great place to end! It fills me with hope and urgency. It transforms my praying and my sharing. It warns me to be ready to meet Jesus! 

Jesus,
I am so thrilled as I read these words. I know that people down through the ages called out these words in the midst of persecution, and I call them out as well. Father, thank You for this triumphant plan. Spirit, thank You for indwelling me, guiding and teaching me. It will be in His perfect time when the last soul is gathered in. 
In the name of the Lamb,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment