Monday, December 22, 2014

The Results

2 Pet. 1: 8-9
For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For whoever lacks these qualities is so nearsighted that he is blind, having forgotten that he was cleansed from his former sins.

In these verses, Peter shares the end results of verses 5-7. But why does he begin with an 'if'clause'? Perhaps he is leaving room for the believer to examine his heart. Regardless of the reason, these verses clearly establish the purpose of the list. It is growth! Not growth by human effort, but by relying on the grace of God. Paul put it this way. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. It is that inter-working of human diligence with God's grace that is so hard to understand but yet so pleasing to God. 

A believer who loves the Lord desires these qualities above all because fruitfulness and effectiveness are outward evidences of the Spirit of God working in their lives. No believer wants to look like he or she has stagnated. But if  believers have no desire to grow, they are so nearsighted that they are blind. Spiritual blindness! Ouch! What a horrible place to be! How it must grieve the heart of God. Their vision is diseased. Matthew says, The eye is the lamp of the body. So, if your eye is healthy, your whole body will be full of light, but if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! Poor spiritual vision has devastating effects. These believers have forgotten what Jesus accomplished for them. They no longer view the cross as something precious and lasting, something that has cleansed them from their former sins. Perhaps they have replaced true spirituality for a human counterfeit. On the outside they appear somewhat alright, but their heart is far removed. Much like the Pharisees! What a sad state of affairs! 

It is wise for every Christian to examine his life. As Peter says in his first letter, For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? The judgment that belongs to the unsaved is horrendous. And this same judgment belongs to those who are counterfeit, to those who are not growing and whose vision is diseased by a Satan-empowered virus. When I look at my heart, I see the Spirit working and growing me, but I also see a careless attitude about identifying and confessing sin. I do not ever want to have diseased eyes!

Father,
I confess my lack of confession, my not dealing with sin when I see it, and my not even seeing the sin. Spirit, sharpen my vision. Let me see clearly. Take me back to the cross to see the heinousness of my sin. Grow me in these qualities. I so want to be fruitful and effective for You. 
In Jesus name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment